2015 Safe Boating Expo - Event Overview
The 10th Annual Channel Islands Harbor Safe Boating Expo will welcome you and your family
Saturday, May 9, 2015, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at the U.S. Coast Guard Station at 4201 S. Victoria Avenue, Oxnard. This exciting, family-friendly event is free to the public and offers a broad range of activities.
Join us for a day of exciting
Safe Boating Expo events:
* Dockside vessel-tours will be available on an 87' U.S. Coast Guard Coastal Cutter and other boats, such as the 45' "Response Boat Medium" (RBM). These vessels are vital to the mission of Coast Guard Station Channel Islands Harbor, which is to conduct Search and Rescue, Homeland Security, Maritime Law Enforcement, Counter Drug & Alien Migrant Interdiction Operations, Marine Environmental Protection and Boating Safety from Point Dume, CA to Point Conception, CA, and out 50 nautical miles.
* Offshore Air, Sea, & Fire Rescue Demos 11:00 am & 2:00 pm: Ventura County Sheriff’s Rescue, Channel Islands Harbor Patrol, Ventura County Fire Department, Oxnard Police/Fire Dive Team, U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter and Gold Coast Ambulance.
* Safety Demonstrations 9:00 am to 4:00 pm: Fire Extinguisher, Flares, Life Jackets, First Aid, Kayaking, Scuba Diving and many more.
* Agency Booths and Displays: Ventura County Fire Department, Ventura Sheriff Rescue, NOAA Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, National Weather Service, Channel Islands National Park, Red Cross, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Ventura Sail and Power Squadron, Channel Islands Harbor Patrol, National Parks Rangers, Department of Fish and Wildlife, and Vessel Assist.
* Vendor Demos:“Local vendors will demonstrate the latest in safety products including the use of flares and give hands-on training in using a fire extinguisher. The latest types and styles of life jackets will be demonstrated,” said Henry Goldman, member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and chairman of this annual event.
* Food and beverages will be sponsored by the Pacific Corinthian Youth Foundation, all proceeds supporting the PCYF youth sailing program in Channel Islands Harbor.
* Free 2015 Vessel Safety Check: At the Expo, schedule your free 2015 Vessel Safety Check.
“Every year we get larger crowds that attend this educational and fun event for the entire family. Visit our new web site for the latest news”, Goldman said.